So you have created a pretty cool Real Studio app that you think others could use. Why not sell it? Maybe you didn’t plan to sell it or maybe you developed it with the hopes it could help bring in some extra cashflow. Either way, here are a few tips on free marketing for your app!
First, I want to tell you about a great opportunity. As many of you know we have recently announced sessions for the Real Studio Developer Conference, taking place April 23-26 in Orlando, Florida. This will be our biggest event of the year with one-of-a-kind educational and networking opportunities. If you use Real Studio to make some or all of your income, you need to be there! If you are just a hobbyist and want to learn more about how to leverage your Real Studio skills, you need to be there! And if you are evaluating Real Studio to see if its the right app development tool for you, what better place to make your decision than after talking to people who rely on it and have used it for years?
We will have some sessions at the conference that will greatly benefit anyone who wants to effectively sell their app. To call out a few, Richard Duke, CEO of Mediatec, will discuss How to Succeed in Business Using Real Studio. In this session he will talk about rapidly creating and deploying apps, pricing, sales incentives, system maintenance and further ways to generate income. Another session I am really looking forward to is Ingo Molitor’s (founder of Bluetelligence LLC) session on the Mac App Store! Ingo is going to talk about Apple’s requirements for the MAS, code signing and Gate Keeper. Also, did you see we have TWO sessions on iOS? That’s right. iOS in Real Studio - basic and advanced. This is THE place to be if you want to learn more about Real Studio and get your hands on the latest and greatest from Real Software. Today we are offering $200 off the price of registration. I promise you will be glad you came!
There are tons of things you can do to market your app, many which come with a hefty price tag. Thanks to social media, internet accessibility and a little creativity, there are some free things you can do to help get the word out and start some momentum.
8 Free Marketing Ideas!
1. Create a website or blog for your app: Creating a web presence for your app is paramount. For those who are not creatively inclined there are a lot of free templates out there to help you get started, like Tumblr and Blogger. Having a dedicated URL to pass out to prospects is very important and your URL needs to be something they can easily remember. Additionally, you will want to put your URL everywhere - in your email signature, on your Facebook page, Twitter, etc. And be sure to add social media buttons to your blog or website (like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, etc.) so visitors can share your app with their community.
2. Create a video to showcase your app: Always remember to show don’t tell! Screenshots are a good way to feature your app, but a video is worth so much more. And I’m not talking professional quality demo video. Just record yourself walking through your app, show prospects how to use it, and why it’s worth downloading. Once your video is complete you will want to feature it on your website, upload it to YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Spread the word! Make sure to add relevant tags to help with some SEO!
3. Twitter: Did you know Twitter has well over 500 million users and over 340 million tweets per day (source)? And it’s free! While not all 500 million people are in your target market, it is a great way to spread the word about your app to a large community. Simply tweeting about what makes your app special is not going to generate too much buzz, but using it to get in front of key industry people to request reviews or connect with the media - can make a big impact to helping to spread the word.
4. Guest Blog Posts: Many of the big-name blogs out there welcome guest posts. Not only do you get to talk about your labor of love in front of a new audience that you otherwise would not have connected with, but you will also get a link to your own URL, which will get you some good SEO. Good SEO = more traffic, more downloads and more conversions! Keep in mind, however, that simply writing a sales pitch for your app will probably not get accepted. Try to think about a topic that would be of interest.. maybe a problem your app can solve? Talk about it generally and then offer some solutions. Even if your topic is not 100% relevant to your app that is OK! Geoff recently wrote a guest blog post on password security for LockerGnome and that generated a nice traffic boost for us! Also, did you know we accept guest blog posts? If you have an idea for something you think might be interesting to our audience, email it to email@example.com and we will try to work it into our blog rotation!
5. We Will Help You: Did you know that besides guest blog posts Real Software also offers a number of opportunities to help market your app? If you submit a press release to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we will send it to our news list that includes hundreds of media contacts and we will post it on our forums which is used by 7300 developers. Additionally, if you have a good story, we may want to include it in a customer success story that we will pitch to the media on your behalf!
6. Facebook: I have mentioned a few things about Facebook already, but be sure to leverage your own network to help spread the word. Post your video to your own page and ask your friends to share it! Your friends will see it, share it with their friends, and their friends friends and so on! That’s how to go viral! You should also create a Page for your app! It’s a great way to get your existing users together and tell them the latest and greatest about your app!
7. Banner Swap: One thing that I don’t see happening much on the app sites I visit is banner swaps. Help out your fellow Real Studio developers and they’ll help you! Reach out to someone else who has an app and a website/blog and offer to swap banner ads. You will each benefit from it and it’s a nice way to get some free marketing.
8. Public Relations: Think outside of the box.... really, really far outside of it! Sure you could purchase the biggest booth and a full page ad with Mac World, and also put banner ads on every website you can think of, but that comes with a hefty price tag! Take a different spin on an old concept or think of something new and exciting. Make a theme song for your app, hand out bumper stickers, or even dress up as your app.
Create unique shareable content that others with talk about and the viral effect will happen naturally. If you’re not sure about an idea, feel free to email me: email@example.com.